Nutty Satay Sauce by Rasa Masa
Satay sauce (aka peanut sauce) is a popular sauce or dip around the world.
The sauce really goes well with satay (or meat skewer). It tastes nutty, and mild spicy yet sweet and full of flavor of local herbs such as lemongrass, galangga. I found that it is not only a sauce for meat skewer and ketupat, but also suitable for some vegetables, such as cucumber, jicama, carrot; hence can be used as salad sauce which is full of local taste.
I love satay sauce because of its nutty flavor. I always believe that delicious satay sauce cannot beat the sauce which made from peanut butter due to the freshly grounded peanut in the sauce. Apart from quality of peanut, the best sauce must have a good balance of all flavors such as spiciness, sweetness and savoriness to entice your taste buds.
The preparation for satay sauce seems complicated as the recipe requires many ingredients combination, but it only take few steps to prepare it. Mix all of the ingredients in blender or food processor; bring to simmer, and adjust the flavor according to your preference.
Rasa Masa has modified the recipe after several time of tasting and came out this recipe which is hassle-free cooking and the taste suits for all ages.
For those who follow plant-based diet, you can do tempeh satay and enjoy it with your homemade satay sauce!
*Rasa Masa uses only organic ingredients for all their recipes*
Ingredient A: Spice paste
- 8-10 dried chili
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 small shallots or 1/2 onion
- 3 lemongrass (only white part near roots)
- 3 cm galangal
- 1 tsp garam masala (recommended brand for org. herbs & spice: Sonnentor)
- 7 tbsp coconut oil
Ingredient B: Nut & Seasoning
- 1.5 cups roasted peanuts (crushed coarsely)/ 1 cup tahini*
- 1 to 1.5 cup water (adjust to consistency you prefer)
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar/ molasses sugar (to taste)
- salt to taste
- lime juice of 1-2 lime
- Blend the spices (ingredient A) into a paste.
- Fry spice paste in coconut oil until aromatic. About 10 min.
- Add crushed roasted peanuts. Add water according to own preference of thickness of sauce. Continue to cook under medium heat. Stir until smooth and the oil become chili red.
- Add sugar and salt to taste. When ready, off the heat then add lime juice and stir to mix in.